Applied Fractional Calculus (AFC) @ UCMerced
Welcome to Applied Fractional Calculus (AFC @ UCMerced) Website!
- 04/21/2015. AFC Workshop Series @ UC Merced (More than 75 talks presented and recorded in a year)
- 03/15/2015. Special Issue on "Applied Fractional Calculus in Modeling, Analysis and Design of Control Systems” @ Internatioanl Journal of Control. [Call for Papers]
- Fractional Calculus Day at UC Merced 2014 Edition cum The Fourth AFC Workshop @ MESA LAB @ UC MERCED - flyer.doc
- ME 280 "Fractional Order Mechanics" (Fall 2014 offering. Next offer: Fall 2016) - course flyer (PDF)
- AFC Workshop Series started 4/21/2014. Flyer template (DOC) and Slide template (PPT).
- Fractional Calculus Day @ UC Merced June 12, 2013. (fcday-ucmerced2013-final-program-n-flyer.pdf)
- June 10th, 2013 (1-5PM). Fractional Fractional Calculus Day at Utah State University (links to Slides)
- Dr. Chen's slides presented at FPDE Symposium (fpde2013-brown-univ-talk-june-05-2013.pdf)
- ME211: Nonlinear Controls. (We will have a module on fractional order nonlinear control - FONC)
- 08/10-08/15/2015. The 8th ICIAM, China National Convention Center inside the Beijing Olympic Green. "Closed-loop controlled spraying of anomalously diffusing pests using networked unmanned aircraft crop-dusters: The anisotropic case." part of FC mini-symposium organized by Prof. Hong Wang and Prof. George Karniadakis.
- 08/28-08/29/2015. The 7th edition of Conference on Non-integer Order Calculus and its Applications (RRNR 2015), at the West Pomeranian University of Technology, Szczecin, Poland.
- 11/04/2014. AFC Workshop Series continues on UC Merced Campus. Tue 12:00-1:30 @ SE2-290.
- Nov. 2014. Congratulations! Our Automatica paper is online. [pdf] Chun Yin, YangQuan Chen and Shou-ming Zhong. (2014) Fractional-order sliding mode based extremum seeking control of a class of nonlinear systems. Automatica. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.automatica.2014.10.027
- Oct. 2014. Dr. Chen continues to serve FCAA under the new publisher http://degruyteropen.com/serial/fcaa/ (Dr. Chen's AE profile docx) [the FCAA's new Editorial Board]
- Sept. 2014. MESA2014.org Caputo was sitting in the presentation of this paper "On tempered and substantial fractional calculus" by Cao, Jianxiong ; Li, Changpin ; Chen, YangQuan in Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA), 2014 IEEE/ASME 10th International Conference on
DOI: 10.1109/MESA.2014.6935561 (Paper pdf and presentation slides). Thanks Brendan Smith for delivering the presentation in front of M. Caputo.
- Sept. 9, 2014. First lecture of ME280 "Fractional Order Mechanics". 9-10:15AM Tue and Thu @ SSM150.
- Aug. 2014. Cape Town, South Africa, IFAC World Congress. Dr. Chen offered a half day Tutorial "Fractional Order Motion Controls: How Motion Control Can Benefit from using Fractional Calculus?" this was joined by Dr. Fabrizio Padula's presentation (slides) from Prof. Antonio Visioli's group. (Part 1 of 7 PPT)
- 06/02/14. Fractional Calculus Day @ UC Merced 2014 Edition cum The Fourth AFC Workshop @ MESALAB @ UCMERCED. (flyer.doc)
- 05/24/14. Our Automatica paper is among Top Cited Papers (#11). Mittag-Leffler stability of fractional order nonlinear dynamic systems; Volume 45, Issue 8, August 2009, Pages 1965-1969 Li,Yan Y. | Chen,YangQuan Y. | Podlubny,Igor I.
05/23/14. Dr. Chen gave an invited seminar at Agilent Tech Forum on "Fractional Calculus and Its Applications in Modeling and Signal Processing". (PPT)
05/19/14. Third AFC Workshop @ MESALAB @ UCMERCED
- 05/05/14. Dr. Chen gave an invited seminar at Lam Research on "Fractional order calculus and applications to heat transfer" (PPT)
- 03/18/14. Chapter 08 "Fractional-Order Controller: An Introduction" of this SIAM Press book is here. It was listed as available upon request in this ORA code.
- 3/2/14. ME280 Fall 2013 Offering. 32Gb recorded lectures/slides/labs/final projects. For a copy via ftp, send email to Dr. Chen for access.
- 3/2/14. BICO-MPPT for PV paper published at International Journal of Photoenergy
- 02/28/14. 10th IEEE/ASME MESA 2014 (FDTA2014, deadline 3/24/2014)
- 01/31/14. Dr. Chen gave a BEST seminar "Fractional Order Modeling of Complex Relaxation Dynamics" (lecture recorded)
- 01/30/14. Congratulations! 2014 ACC FC related papers accepted:
Fractional Order Controller in A Three Phase Grid-Connected PV Systems (Hadi Malek)
Identification of Linear Fractional Order Systems Using the Relay Feedback Approach (Zhuo Li)
Fractional Order Iterative Learning Control for Fractional Order Gray-Box Systems with Memory (Yan Li)
- ICFDA2014 (deadline 1/7/2014). Submitted papers
- An online heart rate variability analysis method based on sliding window Hurst series (Taizhi Lyu)
- Fractional order nonlinear model predictive control using RIOTS_95 (Tiebiao Zhao)
- Fractional-order modeling of a permanent magnet synchronous motor velocity servo system: method and experimental study (Wei Yu)
- A low cost research platform for modeling and control of multi-input multi-output fractional order dynamic systems (Zhuo Li)
- Estimating the state of charge of lithium-ion batteries based on fractional-order sliding-mode observer (Yin Chin)
- All parameters identification of fractional order Hammerstein systems (Ｙan Li)
- Fractional-order nonlinear stabilities: a distributed-order approach （Yan Li)
- 12/10, 12/12, 12/17. ME280 "Fractional Order Mechanics) FISP information (schedule/abstracts)
- 12/4-12/7, 2013. Professor Richard L. Magin's visit and invited lectures (EECS and ME). (more information here)
- 11/08/2013. SIAM @ UCMERCED Invited Talk "What is, why you need and who cares fractional calculus!" (flyer) (slides, recorded lecture available upon request)
- 10/24/2013. Mechatronics Special Issue on "Fractional order modeling and control in mechatronics" is now online!
- 10/18/2013. Invited Talk: "Fractional Calculus: Why you need it" - CSU Stanislous.
- 9/29/2013. ACC2014 contributions (4 papers related to AFC and systems and controls for sustainability)
- 9/28/2013. Wiley book on System Simulation Techniques has been published and on market. (With details on how to mask Simulink block for 1/sa and how to solve FO DE in Simulink in Sec. 5.4.5) (Link to Book Service Site）
- 9/27/2013. TOK2013 Plenary Lecture on "Fractional Order Thinking" @ Inonu University, Malatya, Turkey (slides)
- 9/25/2013. TOK2013 half-day workshop (program and slides)
- 9/16/2013. Bruce J. West MTS Lecture information (Recorded video posted at Vimeo https://vimeo.com/75511143))
- ME280 "Fractional Order Mechanics" offering. First class Thursday, August 22, 2013.
- Each ME280 lecture will be recorded and shared via box.com
- Igor Podlubny's Ravello lectures (slides and recorded videos)
- August 2013. FDTA13@MESA13@ASME IDETC/CIE13
- Panel Session: "When fractional calculus meets mechatronics"
- Preconference Workshop "Fractional Order Mechanics" (full day)
- Preconference Workshop "Fractional Order Motion Controls"
- June 12, 2013. FC Day @ UCMerced (fcday-ucmerced-2013-june-12-flyer.pdf)
- June 2013. ACC13 @ Washington DC.
- June 11-14, 2013. Prof. Mainardi's and Prof. Igor Podlubny's visit.
- June 2013. Applied Math Dept. of Brown University, Invited Speaker @ International Symposium on Fractional PDEs:Theory, Numerics and Applications
- June 1, 2013. R&R talk "When UAV meets Fractional Calculus"
- May 2013 ICUAS13/Fractional Order Complementary Filter/Fractional Order Flight Controller Design for VTOL/Fractional Potential Field Function for UAV fish tracking
- May 2013. NSF Panel review. NSF INSPIRE due. NSF ERC LOIs due.
- "To be average is exceptional" (Bruce J. West) (part 1 and part 2)
- April 17, Wednesday, Meeting with Prof. Richard Magin @ ENC
- April 4, 2013. FC Day @ TUKE (see also: FC Day @ IST, Portugal; FC Day at USU, USA; Coming soon: FC Day @ NEU, China etc)
- April 1, 2013. Guest-co-edited Theme Issue on "FC and its Applications" published @ Phil Trans R Soc A where Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Michael Faraday, etc published papers! Check more information at http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/371/1990/20130037.full.pdf+html
- March 2013. Fractional Order Image Processing progresses well. (List of recent papers on FOIP) Some exciting new ideas are being explored together with Profs. Dali Chen and Dingyu Xue.
- 3/18/13 Wimeo link to Dr. Chen's talk "All connected via fractional calculus: Power law, scale-free, heavy-tailedness, long range dependence, long memory, and complexity due to fractional dynamics" (http://vimeo.com/61141696)
- 3/8/13. Two papers submitted to ASME DSCC13 (Stanford) on FOC for PV MPPT as well as optimal lighting control.
- 3/3/13: Our paper DETC2013-12746 on AFC+HF+UAV accepted by ASME IDETC13 MESA13/SUAVTA! A potentially exciting new research area!
- 3/3/13: Our paper on optimal random search+AFC accepted by FDTA13@MESA13@ASME IDETC13! We think this is a transformative research idea.
- 2/7/13: Zhuo Li's seminar series on "Fractional Order Motion Controls". (part of effort for ASME IDETC2013)
- 2/5/2013: Igor Podlubny's seminar at CSOIS/ECE Dept. of USU (SLIDES+Recorded lecture) [excellent lecture!! Highly recommended!)
- 1/24/13: Dr. Chen will deliver a plenary lecture at Turkish National Meeting on Automatic Control (TOK 2013) . Turkish National Committee of Automatic Control (TOK) is National Member Organization (NMO) of “International Federation of Automatic Control” (IFAC) in Turkey. IFAC World Congress 2014 is in South Africa! (2011 congress was in Milano, Italy, where one of Dr. Chen's papers won IFAC Best Journal Paper Award CEP for FO PID controller tuning and autotuning.)
- 1/22/13: Dr. Chen's coming seminar "All connected via fractional calculus: Power law, scale-free, heavy-tailedness, long range dependence, long memory, and complexity due to fractional dynamics" February 25, 2013 Monday for MTS (Mind, Technology and Society) Talk Series.
- 1/21/13: 6 Papers for FDTA2013 under IEEE/ASME MESA13, part of IDETC/CIE 2013 (Caibin, Hadi, Sara, Chun, Brandon, Zhuo)
Check Dr. Chen's talk on 9-7-2012 on "Fractional Order Thinking" (ucmerced-eecs-seminar-09-07-2012-yangquan-chen.pdf), and the seminar on "Fractional Order Modeling" (ucmerced-eecs-seminar-09-14-2012-new.pdf)
Our next big events include
- ASME/IEEE MESA 2013 - FDTA2013. (FDTA2011 papers are here)
- FractionalCalculus Day @ UCMerced 2013 (previous years at USU are documented here) (2011 flyer)
- Fractional PDE Symposium 2013 at Brown University. 6/3-5, 2013. (Invited Speakers)
Applied Fractional Calculus (AFC) @ UCMerced
1. Fractional order Mechanics why, what and when
Presenter: Dr YangQuan Chen,
Time: Oct. 30, 2012
2. Is our universe expanding dynamics fractional order?
Presenter: Caibin Zeng, Visiting PhD student
Time: Nov. 6, 2012
3. On the behavior of fractional-order reaching dynamics
Presenter: Chun Yin, Visiting PhD student
Time: Nov. 13, 2012
4. Minimum Energy lighting or how I made a miniature office out of cardboard and called it research (or a more serious title: “Adaptive minimum energy cognitive lighting control: integer order vs. fractional order strategies in sliding mode based extremum seeking”)
Presenter: Brandon Stark, Ph.D. student, MESA LAB Manager
Time: Nov. 20, 2012, 11-12AM
5. Random search, fractional dynamics and fractional calculus
Presenter: Caibin Zeng
Time: Nov. 27, 2012 11-12AM
6. 2012 IEEE CDC presentation rehearsals (5 papers)
Dec. 4, 2012.
Winter Break. 2013 AFC presentations: 1. 01/08/2013. 2. 01/15/2013. 3. 01/22/2013. 4. 01/29/2013.