Teaching and Instructional Activities at MESA LAB
Teaching and Instructional Activities
- Fall 2017. ME280 "Fractional Order Mechanics" (Course Flyer.PDF)
- Summer 2017. 5/22-6/30/2017. ME190 UAS Course (6 weeks, 4 credits)
- Spring 2014. ME-142 "Mechatronics" (gen2)
- Spring 2014. ME-170 Capstone Projects (UAS - unmanned aircraft systems related) (draft project proposals @12/3/2014)
- ME 280 Fall 2013. FISP Project presentation schedule announced. Richard Magin Dec. 06, 2013 seminars (two!)
- 07/22/2013. Fall 2013 ME280 "Fractional Order Mechanics" registration paper work. Fill this form. Make appointment with Dr. Chen and get his signature. (Course flyer and syllabus)
- 08/04/2013. Full-day Workshop at ASME IDETC/CIE2013 "W6: Fractional Order Mechanics — An Introduction of An Emerging Research Field". Click W6 at http://www.asmeconferences.org/IDETC2013/Workshops.cfm
Scorbot-ER 4U Robotic Arm for Teaching Mechatronics
- Engineering Service Learning (ESL) course ENGR097/ENGR197 "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Team" (CRN 15169) (TEAM ESLUAV web)
- Independent Research/Study for credits (ENGR 095, ENGR195, ME195) (all semesters!)
- Capstone sponsorship and/or mentoring
- Spring 2013
- Fall 2013. Capstone team on forest fire detection: Team Phoenix Aerospace.
- Spring 2014. Low cost, transportable, (inter-dockable) USV: Team NavyGatorinc.com
- Fall 2014 (?), (contact us earlier for a spot!)
- Fall 2014. ME280 "Fractional Order Mechanics" course flyer (PDF)
- Spring 2014. ME142 Mechatronics.
- Spring 2013. ME-142 "Mechatronics" - we will have 48 spots open for registration. Please note the prerequisites: ENGR 57 Dynamics, ENGR 65 Circuit Theory. See our MESA LAB Flyer on Mechatronics.
- Official Textbook: De Silva, C.W., Mechatronics--A Foundation Course, CRC Press/Taylor&Francis, Boca Raton, FL, 2010.
- https://ucmcrops.ucmerced.edu:443/xsl-portal/site/mechatronics (Full syllabus in CROPS)
- We are designing take-home labs ... (Lab Syllabus in CROPS)
- We want our students MAD (modeling, analysis and design) ready for whole cycle of building a mechatronics system.
- Mechatronics @Utah State, @Colorado State
- Top five wanted topics for ME142: 1) General automation and control (34/42); 2) Sensor (21/42); 3) Robots (18/42); 4) Programming and simulation (PLC,Matlab,Arduino) (16/42); 5) Circuits (10/42); Spring 2013 week-2 surveyed.
- Each 75 min. lecture comes with a quiz sheet from beginning of the lecture and submit by the end of lecture. Seriously fun(damental)!
- Fall 2013. ME-280 "Fractional Order Mechanics" - well yes, this is fractional calculus in mechanics. It is related to "Fractional Calculus in Bioengineering" and of course, "Fractional signals and systems" and "Fractional order systems and controls", "Fractional order signal processing" as well as "Distributed Order Dynamic Systems". "Fractional order" in PubMed and ScienceDirect and ieeeXplore. This course is open to and will benefit ALL campus graduates with differenrial equations as the core prerequisite. Undergraduate seniors are able to succeed in this course too.
- See Dr Chen's seminar slides at AFC@MESALAB@UCMERCED "Fractional Order Mechanics (FOMEch): Why, what and when"; see also his recorded seminar entitled: "All Connected via Fractional Calculus: Power Law, Scale-Free, Heavy-Tailedness, Long Range Dependence, and Complexity due to Fractional Dynamics"
- Full day pre-conference workshop on FOMech on Aug. 4, 2013, Portland, ASME IDETC/CIE 2013.
MESABox - Getting to real time in (almost) no time at (almost) no cost.
MESABox Apps: More exciting ones are coming.