Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) are going to be a major aspect for upcoming aerospace research, especially for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS). While many view UASs as tools for spying and warfare, they have a significant appeal as a remote sensing and actuation platform for all sorts of domestic applications, civilian and commercial. We got FAA CoA! (COA site, driving map) See our most recent DATA DRONE news story (Fox 26) and our vision on DATA DRONE VALLEY. Please also see our new educational outreach efforts (ESL UAV Team) and our new playground in UC NRS (http://nrs.ucop.edu/) under our 2nd FAA CoA. We now have totally 6 active FAA COAs. You might wish to check our UAS papers, theses, and our latest tutorial workshop (intro ppts) offered at ICUAS14. GoogleScholar or ResearchGate has more.
Riparian Mapping Imagery
At the MESA Lab, we develop UASs for primarily civil remote sensing applications that can help in a variety of fields, including precision agriculture, water management and environmental development.
- Human factors / ADS-B / GBSAA / Airworthiness / UAS2NAS integration
- Personal remote sensing / Multi-UAV swarm sensing / Flying sensors / Flying actuators
- UAS-enabled CPS (cyber-physical systems)
- Print-n-Fly / fault-tolerant flight control / integrity-aware flight / PbD
- Application domains: civilian applications, all considered with emphasis on precision ag, environment monitoring, natural resource management and other aspects linked to sustainability. Currently, we focus on crop stress early detection, optimal irrigation management, optimal cropdusting for pest management, and soil salinity.
- Undergraduate research experience, education and outreach. (Our brand-new ESL program since Spring 2014. UAV - team site)
- "DRONE MATH" defined!
Recent Publications (To see all our UAS papers, click here)
- Jason Knight, Brendan Smith and YangQuan Chen. An Essay on Unmanned Aerial Systems Insurance and Risk Assessment. Accepted by The 6th SUAVTA (Small UAV Techniques and Applications) of IEEE MESA 2014, Italy. PDF
- Austin M. Jensen, Mac McKee and YangQuan Chen. “Procedures for Processing Thermal Images Using Low-Cost Micro-bolometer Cameras for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems”. IEEE IGARSS 2014 - International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium. Québec City, Canada. July 13th – July 18th, 2014. (to appear)
- Jensen AM, Geller DK, Chen YQ. Monte Carlo Simulation Analysis of Tagged Fish Radio Tracking Performance by Swarming Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in Fractional Order Potential Fields. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems [Internet]. 2013 . Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s10846-013-9949-9
- Coopmans C, Jensen AM, Chen YQ. Fractional-Order Complementary Filters for Small Unmanned Aerial System Navigation. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems [Internet]. 2013 . Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s10846-013-9915-6
- Hoffer NV, Coopmans C, Jensen AM, Chen YQ. A Survey and Categorization of Small Low-Cost Unmanned Aerial Vehicle System Identification. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems [Internet]. 2013 . Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s10846-013-9931-6
- Han J, Di L, Coopmans C, Chen YQ. Pitch Loop Control of a VTOL UAV Using Fractional Order Controller. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems [Internet]. 2013 . Available from: http://link.springer.com/10.1007/s10846-013-9912-9
- Han J, Chen YQ. Multiple UAV Formations for Cooperative Source Seeking and Contour Mapping of a Radiative Signal Field. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems. 2013.
- Brandon Stark, Brendan Smith, YangQuan Chen. A Guide for Selecting Small Unmanned Aerial Systems for Research-Centric Applications. The 2nd IFAC Workshop on Research, Education and Development of Unmanned Aerial Systems (RED-UAS, 2013. November 20-22, 2013, Compiegne, France
- Brandon Stark, Sean Rider, YangQuan Chen. Optimal Pest Management by Networked Unmanned Cropdusters in Precision Agriculture: A Cyber-Physical System Approach. The 2nd IFAC Workshop on Research, Education and Development of Unmanned Aerial Systems (RED-UAS, 2013. November 20-22, 2013, Compiegne, France
- Stark, B., Chen, Y.Q. "Iterative Design Towards Improved Fault Tolerance: A Framework for Improved SUAS Airworthiness", Health Management, Fault-tolerant Control, and Cooperative Control of Unmanned Aircraft, ECC 2013, Organizers: Youmin Zhang, Camille Alain Rabbath, YangQuan Chen, Christopher Edwards, Cameron Fulford, Hugh H.-T. Liu, Liang Tang, Didier Theilliol, and Antonios Tsourdos, July 16, 2013, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 9 Austin Jensen*, YangQuan Chen. “Tracking Tagged Fish With Swarming Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Using Fractional Order Potential Fields and Kalman Filtering” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 25 Austin Jensen*, Cal Coopmans, YangQuan Chen. “Basics and Guidelines of Complementary Filters for Small UAS Navigation” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 138 Jinlu Han, Long Di, Cal Coopmans, YangQuan Chen*. “Fractional Order Controller for Pitch Loop Control of a VTOL UAV” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 139 Peter Ferrell, Brendan Smith, Brandon Stark, YangQuan Chen*. “Dynamic Flight Modeling of a Multi-Mode Flying Wing Quadrotor” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 141 Brandon Stark, Brennan Stevenson, Vibhor Jain, YangQuan Chen*. “Implementation of ADS-B for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems: Case Study and Regulatory Practices” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 145 Nathan Hoffer, Cal Coopmans, Austin Jensen, YangQuan Chen*. “Small Low Cost Unmanned Aerial Vehicle System Identification: A Survey and Catagorization” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 157 Jinlu Han, YangQuan Chen*. “Cooperative Contour Mapping of a Diffusive Signal Field by formations of Multiple UAVs” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
- 158 Cal Coopmans*, Austin Jensen, YangQuan Chen. “Fractional-Order Complementary Filter for Small Unmanned Aerial System” The 2013 International conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, ICUAS'13, Atlanta, GA, May 28-31, 2013.
DATA-DRONE News @ MESA LAB:
Aug. 2-5, 2015. ASME IDETC/CIE2015, Boston. SUAVTA15. FDTA15.
Aug. 1, 2015. FOMECH Tutorial. ASME IDETC/CIE2015, Boston. (Proposal.docx)
July 1-3, 2015. ACC2015. Chicago.
June 9-12, 2015. Denver ICUAS 2015. CFP docx.
June 8th, 2015. AgDroneTech15.
Jan. 8, 2015. Dr. Chen will present an invited plenary lecture at California Melon Research Board annual symposium, San Diego, CA, USA.
Nov. 2014. MESA LAB was invited by Prof. Costas Armenakis to contributed 3 chapters in the coming MRS-4. (Manual of Remote Sensing) of ASPRS.
Nov. 2014. MESA LAB was invited to contribute to Encyclopedia of Aerospace
Oct. 2014. Dr. Chen will be Guest Co-Edit the Special Issue on UAS for Springer JINT
10/20-10/22/2014. ASPRS NorCal UAS Mapping Symposium in Reno. MESA Lab presented 2 research posters.
10/10/2014. 13th Robots and Ribs. Special Guests: Dr. Jagmohan Bajaj and Dr. Edwin Roks, CTO of Teledyne. Looney mission site demo.
09/10-12, 2014. Brendan Smith attended the 10th IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications, in Senigallia - Ancona - Italy. (MESA LAB's paper An essay on unmanned aerial systems insurance and risk assessment DOI: 10.1109/MESA.2014.6935560)
08/20-9/7/2014. Trip to South Africa, visiting U of Pretoria CNES. Dr. Chen and Brandon Stark attended IFAC World Congress 2014 presented 2 pre-conference tutorial workshops, and 5 papers and chaired 2 sessions.
07/13/2014. Austin M. Jensen, Mac McKee and YangQuan Chen. “Procedures for Processing Thermal Images Using Low-Cost Micro-bolometer Cameras for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems”. IEEE IGARSS 2014 - International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium. Québec City, Canada. July 13th – July 18th, 2014.
05/27-29/2014. ICUAS 2014. Dr. Chen served as General Chair. MESA LAB presented 3 papers. Addition one paper from CSOIS/AggieAir group.
05/26/2014. AgDroneTech14 Half Day Tutorial @ ICUAS2014, Orlando, FL.
Jan. 2014. MESA LAB @ UC MERCED listed among top tier
01/01/2014.The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) UC Merced Student Branch is now officially established! We also got a nice frame from AIAA. (photo)
11/20-11/23. MESA LAB Manager Brandon Stark will attend IFAC RED-UAS2013 in Compiegne, France. Brandon will visit the drone lab of Rogelio Lozano, University of Compiegne (France)
- 11/13/2013. Dr. Chen and MESA LAB Manager Brandon Stark will attend the 2nd Ag Drone meeting in Ventura.
- 11/3/2013. Our partner website is re-launched! http://aggieair.usu.edu/
- 11/05/13 and 11/12/13. Dr. Chen to guest lecture at UCCE's "CE for Pest Management Professionals" (schedule) Lecture title: "UAV-Based Pest Management as a Cyber-Physical System“ (This recorded 2-hour lecture and slides are available to potential partners upon request).
- 10/16/2013. Dr. Chen and MESA LAB Manager Brandon Stark will attend Ag Drone meeting organized by VCEDA
- 10/11- 16, 2013. Dr. Chen's Ph.D. student Calvin Coopman will speak at NY DARC, and make presence at Kansas State UAS meeting.
- 08/06/2013. Dr. Chen was invited to serve the panel of Legislative Hearing of Public Safety Committee of CA.
- Fall 2013. Dr. Haiyang Chao started a new drone lab at University of Kansas. Congratulations!
- IEEE RAS TC ARUAV new web site launched: http://www.ieee-aerialrobotics-UAVs.org
- Dr. Chen serves as ICUAS2014 General Cochair. (ICUAS2014 cfp flyer)
- 4/29/2013. CBS47. Unmanned aerial vehicles show potential for Central Valley farmers and water managers.
- YangQuan Chen*, Cal Coopmans, Brandon Stark . “Tutorials on Airworthiness Enhancing Architectures and Human Factors for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems” (Accepted and shown at http://uasconferences.com/program.php#t4 )
- "Slavery" at MESA LAB? http://www.uasvision.com/2013/02/22/california-students-locked-in-mechatronics-lab/
- ABC30 : http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=9013005
- KSEE: MESA LAB's UAVs @ Research Week of UC Merced. http://www.ksee24.com/news/ksee-sunrise/Research-Week-Takes-Off-At-UC-Merced-195650521.html
- Drone privacy debate: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/East-Bay-at-forefront-of-drone-debate-4292198.php
- "THE DRONE AGE" public lecture (flyer)
- ICUAS 2013 Tutorial (full day) "T4: SUAS Airworthiness, Architecture, and Human Factors"
- Two contributions to The HANDBOOK of UAV (Springer)
- Dr. YangQuan Chen serves as a Senior Editor for Springer JINT (J of Intelligent and Robotic Systems)
- Dr. YangQuan Chen serves as a founding editorial board member for Unmanned Systems (US) (WorldScientific)
- Dr. YangQuan Chen serves as Program Chair for ICUAS13 and will serve as General Chair for ICUAS14 (Orlando).
- Check our Youtube channel.
- Brandon Stark participated AIAA Civilian Applications of UAVs – A California Perspective, a Policy Symposium
- MESA LAB part of proposal to compete FAA UASTSS.
- Last but not least, we have a strong Robotics Society at UC Merced! http://www.ucmerced.edu/news/robotics-society-navigates-uncharted-courses (AFTERSHOCK2012)
Last updated: 11/3/2013; 1/28/2014. 11/2/2014.
UAS on launcher (a) and in flight (b)
Thermal Imagery collected by UAS
See Dr. Chen's 2011 UAS R&D ANNUAL REPORT. CSOIS Robotics Overview 1998-2004 (Kevin L. Moore).