10th MESA LAB R&R Symposium and MESA LAB 2013 top 10s
The first R&R was on Feb. 9, 2012 started by Brandon Stark, the MESA LAB MANAGER.
The 10th MESA LAB R&R Symposium held on Feb. 8, 2014 from 2-6PM. Details can be found here. The event flyer is here.
Dr. Chen announced the MESA LAB 2013 top 10s as follows:
Top 10 DRONE News of MESA LAB @ UC Merced in 2013
- Dr. Chen delivered an invited public lecture "THE DRONE AGE" in Castle Air Museum in Feb.
- MESA LAB is an official team member to bid for FAA UAS TSS in March.
- FAA CoA application went to final stage “effective pending signature” submitted in May.
- Participation of ICUAS 2013 in Atlanta in May. Offered a half-day ICUAS 2013 Tutorial "T4: SUAS Airworthiness, Architecture, and Human Factors".
- Dr. Chen served as an invited Legislative Hearing panelist in Sacramento, California in August.
- Dr. Chen and MESA LAB Manager Brandon Stark attended Ag Drone meeting organized by VCEDA in Oct.
- MESA LAB Manager Brandon Stark presented two papers at IFAC RED-UAS in France in November.
- Dr. Chen offered two lectures in UCCE "CE for Pest Management Professionals” on "UAV-Based Pest Management as a Cyber-Physical System“ in November.
- MESA LAB was chosen to be on exhibition in Library for Fall 2013 semester from Oct. to Dec. UC Merced Magazine Inaugural Issue features MESA LAB story.
- Proposed CIDER as part of the 2020 UC Merced Strategic Academic Focusing Initiative Proposal in December.
Top 10 AFC (Applied Fractional Calculus) News of MESA LAB @ UC Merced in 2013
- Theme Issue on published @ Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society A Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences (Fractional calculus and its applications)
- Wimeo link to Dr. Chen's talk "All connected via fractional calculus: Power law, scale-free, heavy-tailedness, long range dependence, long memory, and complexity due to fractional dynamics" (http://vimeo.com/61141696)
- Fractional Calculus Day @ UCMerced in June with Invited Keynote Speakers Igor Podlubny and Francesco Mainardi. (sister event: Fractional Fractional Calculus Day at Utah State University)
- Dr. Chen started to offer regularly ME280 “Fractional Order Mechanics” (August to Dec.)
- Bruce J. West's visit to UC Merced MESA LAB on Monday 9/16/2013
- Mechatronics Special Issue on "Fractional order modeling and control in mechatronics" is now online!
- Dr. Chen delivered a plenary lecture at TOK 2013, Turkey on “Fractional Order Thinking” in Nov. and offered a half day tutorial on “Fractional Order Motion Controls”.
- MESA LAB @ UC MERCED Presents “Drones, Mechatronics and Fractional Calculus –MESA LAB 2013 Mid-Summer Symposium with Malgorzata Klimek’s invited keynote lectures.
- ASME IDETC/CIE activities: FDTA13@MESA13@ASME IDETC/CIE13; Panel Session: "When fractional calculus meets mechatronics"; Preconference Workshop "Fractional Order Mechanics" (full day); Preconference Workshop "Fractional Order Motion Controls"
- Professor Richard L. Magin's visit to UC Merced Dec. 04 - Dec. 07, 2013
Top 10 Mechatronics/Robotics Educations and Research News of MESA LAB @ UC Merced in 2013
- Since 2013, Dr. Chen serves as the Topic Editor-in-Chief for IJARS (International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems) on “Field Robotics” including UAVs, agriculture robots etc.
- Jan.-May. ME142 Mechatronics (4 credits) was offered in Spring 2013 with 40+ students with minimum prerequisites (circuits and statics/dynamics) open for all engineering students. Each student spent 3 hours each week for Mechatronics Labs using a take-home lab kit we developed known as MESABox.
- June. Dr. Chen presented a visionary talk on “When UAV meets Fractional Calculus” at the June-edition of the Robots and Ribs MESA LAB Symposium to link human factor research and fractional order signal processing in state-of-human observer.
- July. MESA LAB @ UC MERCED Presents “Drones, Mechatronics and Fractional Calculus –MESA LAB 2013 Mid-Summer Symposium”
- August. At ASME IDETC/CIE 2013 in Portland, OR, a half day pre-conference workshop was offered by MESA LAB members Brandon Stark, Zhuo Li and Brendan Smith on “Personalizing Mechatronics Education Utilizing an Open-Source Real-Time Control System Rapid Prototyping Platform”(W5). The workshop was very well received. Dr. Chen also organized and moderated a 2 hour MESA2013 Panel Discussion Session. "When Fractional Calculus Meets Mechatronics." Best Paper award from 2013 ASME/IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics, Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA’13) entitled "Minimum Energy Cognitive Lighting Control: Stability Analysis and Experiments" by MESA Lab members, Chun Yin and Brandon Stark.
- September. Wiley book “System Simulation Techniques with MATLAB and Simulink” was published (with Prof. D. Xue) which has a section introducing MESABox – a low cost rapid prototyping of real-time closed loop control platform, and its Apps.
- September. Dr. Chen serves as a judge for Robotic Business Review's 2013 Game Changer Awards
- October. United States Patent Application 20130268219 was published online. “Fractional Order Power Point Tracking” with Hadi Malek.
- October. A historical Mechatronics Special Issue on "Fractional order modeling and control in mechatronics" is published in October issue!
- November. Professor Kevin Moore and Dr. Deyun Meng’s visit with invited seminars on “Consensus in Networks: Coordination and Control of Cyber Physical Systems from Unmanned Vehicles to Energy-Efficient Buildings” and “ILC for MAS” (marching band formation movies)