This page is prepared for potential FAA COE leading PIs who might decide to team up with UC Merced's Scientific Data Drone Lab (MESA Lab). (Contact: YangQuan Chen at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Current research emphasis
- Our response to FAACOE RFP (docx file) in June 2014
- Our Scientific Data Drone Test Site (SDDTS) (a white paper .pdf)
- LandSat -XP idea
- Smart sniffing and smart spraying (since 2002) - DRONEMATH idea (CPS, DDDAS or I called it MAS-net in 2002)
- Digital Preservation (culture and heritage sites and structures)
- Robotic environmental co-journalists. (my Youtube talk); eDNA Drone; WileBot; Soil CoPhysicist Drone; DustDrone, FireDrone, MethaneDrone etc.
- AgDroneTech (SmartMelonDrone; CropStress) (2015 ICUAS preconference tutorial workshop proposal.PDF) ; Stress detection of crops and drone operators; (Round Robin test competition) ("NDVI doesn't work" paper)
- Training, evaluation and certification of drones and drone operators (see our paper on drone insurance and risk assessment)
- Airworthiness, HumanFactor research (search "airw" or "human" in https://mechatronics.ucmerced.edu/uaspapers)
- 2012: A Framework for Analyzing Human Factors in Unmanned Aerial Systems, IEEE ISRCS'12.
- 2013: HRV monitoring for human factor research in UAS, FDTA13 @ MESA13 @ ASME IDETC/CIE13 Portland, OR
- 2013: SUAS Airworthiness, Architecture, and Human Factors. Half-Day Tutorial at 2013 ICUAS, Atlanta, GA, USA (all ppts.zip)
- 2015: Haptic interface of data-drone operation considering human operator’s force sensitivity. FDTA15.
- 2015. Mathematical model of human operator using fractional calculus for human-in-the-loop control. FDTA15.
- 2015. Fractional order modeling of human operator behavior in the man-machine control system. Int J Control.
- 2015. Concept Of Operations Of Small Unmanned Aerial Systems: Basis For Airworthiness Towards Personal Remote Sensing.
- 2015. Airworthiness and Protocol Development for Safe Night Flying Missions for Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUASs). (pdf)
- 9 active FAA COAs; ever first night flight FAA COA!
- PI. NSF RAPID: Low Cost Personal Remote Sensing for Cognitive Disaster Assessment with Enhanced Human-Machine Interface. (Award ID: 1138632) (study site: Christchurch, NZ)
- PI. NASA UAS2NAS. (Award ID: NNX11AO77A). Airworthiness techniques and flight evaluation for integrating low cost personal remote sensing UAV in the national airspace system (NAS)
- First place winner of 2009 AND 2011. SUAS Student UAS Competition AUVSI. (sample winning journal paper)
- Our UAS papers https://mechatronics.ucmerced.edu/uaspapers
- Co-Chair (2012-2018). IEEE RAS Technical Committee on ARUAV (TC poster ppt, TC website http://ieee-aerialrobotics-uavs.org/)
- MRS 4 project.
Summary Slides - "why us, why here and why now"
- FAA COE RFP.pdf (2014)
- SUAVTA 2015 @ ASME IEEE MESA @ IDETC/CIE 2015, Boston.
- ICUAS 2016 Washington DC. http://uasconferences.com/ (Dr. Chen serves as IPC Chair) (CFP pdf)
- ASPRS UASMapping Reno 2015 (MESA LAB will contribute) (Our 2014 contributions)
- IFAC RED UAS 15 (MESA LAB will contribute)
- NASA UTM 2015 (MESA LAB will contribute)
Last updated 8/10/15; 6/14/15.
old link: http://mechatronics.ece.usu.edu/mas-net/index.htm
Always add ftp://188.8.131.52/ in front